Foodie Googlie

Custom Search

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Secret Family Recipe Barbeque Chicken

There's nothing quite like spilling the beans on a secret family recipe, is there?

This one's been in our family for generations - two, at the very least (including my own progeny).

So not exactly a secret extracted from the depths of time, but pretty good nonetheless. Add to that the fact that I've adapted it to work in our slow-cooker that we've only had for about a year, and the mystique all but dissolves.

Not to worry.

Slow-cooked Barbeque Chicken it is.

I will warn you in advance, however, that my precious notebook full of recipe notes went wandering sometime between cooking and eating dinner, so I'm trusting to the original oven-bake recipe here. Let's hope I didn't get too creative when I modified it.

Crock-pot Barbeque Chicken

(Serves 2)

Ingredients
2 Large Chicken Legs (Thigh and Drumstick, skin on)
1 T Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Steak Sauce
1 T Honey
1 Dsp Brown Sugar
1 T Cider Vinegar
1/4 t Crushed Ginger
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
1/4 C Hot Water
Combine all the marinade ingredients and mix well.
Pour the sauce over the Chicken and cover well.
Place the Chicken in the crockpot and pour any excess sauce over top. Slow-cook on High for 3-4 hours.
Serve up with oven-baked chips and fresh veges. Pour the excess sauce from the bottom of the crockpot into small cups and place these in the centre of each plate for dipping.

5 comments:

Laura Eno said...

Yay, crockpots! Looks delicious. I wouldn't have thought to pour the remaining sauce into cups.

Dessert Chef said...

Jeez you're cheeky :) The missing note book is on the windowsill, probably exactly where you left it :)

Dan said...

Laura: I have a funny feeling that I thickened the sauce a bit with some cornflour (cornstarch) in water, heating it in the microwave to help it go off, before serving it in the little espresso cups.

Dessert Chef: I knew it wouldn't be far away, but my brain wasn't feeling terribly functional last night. Thanks for finding it !

Leah said...

Which secret family was that, that you're referring to? Didn't know you had a secret family. Recipe sounds delicious anyway. I'll put in an order for one night in December!

lbs said...

Leah, take notes, because I'm putting in my order for December too!!!