Foodie Googlie

Custom Search

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

CurryVirgin

I have to admit, I love eating a good curry, but my efforts over the years to make them have never come out terribly well. Much as I like the tangy sweet beef curry that my mother is so fond of, its always felt like a bit of a British copout, all full of apple and raisins and stuff as it is. Don't get me wrong, its a fine dish, and may well grace these pages in the not-to-distant future, but I decided it was time to try something more authentic.

What I created may not have been authentic, but it was quick and easy, and it tasted really good. I had in mind the leftover chicken from Sunday's roast; I knew we had a tin of Coconut Cream in the cupboard begging to be used; and I thought that this combined with Banana would be delicious. Yes, others before you have also called me crazy, but this time, it was to prove a winner.

Chicken Banana Curry

Cut a large potato into pieces and boil. I would probably do a small potato and a small kumera next time.

Put on a pot of Rice.


In a large pan, fry the following:
2 Chicken Breasts cut into cubes (I used meat off a roast chicken, but you can use fresh meat if you take more time to cook it properly)

2 t Curry Powder (Modify this to suit your Chilli Palate - Not being a curry expert, I just bought a premixed Mild Curry Powder)

1 Chopped Onion

4 Chopped Garlic Cloves


When the meat is brown all over, add to the pot:

1 Tin of Coconut Cream

Juice of 1 Small Lemon

2 t Chicken Stock Powder

2T of Cornflour mixed with 100ml water


Stir in, bring to the boil and let cook for 10 mins.


In a sieve over the boiling rice, blanch a handful of fresh veges: Broccoli, Carrots, Cauliflower, or what have you.
Add the potato, veges, and one large sliced banana to the curry pot, and heat through (about 5 minutes). Dish up on rice with water to go around.


I have to say, for a first go at making a proper curry (don't ask me to define proper), I was pleasantly surprised. Would probably also be nice with roti breads and a bit of raita.

No comments: