Foodie Googlie

Custom Search

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Crunchy Lemon Muffins

I have said in the past that I need to post more desserts here, but the fundamental flaw in that plan is that I really don't do desserts. Luckily, my lovely wife has earned the moniker Dessert Chef for a reason.

Not so much a dessert or a pudding as a sweet treat, these lemon muffins are straight from Kiwi legend cook Alison Holst's repertoire. They're sweet yet tart, and soft on the inside but crunchy on the outside. They're more than just a dessert. They're an artform.

Crunchy Lemon Muffins

(Makes 6 large muffins and 12 mini Muffins - so probably makes 12 normal-sized muffins - that's my inexpert guess, based on what I have to move out of the way in the oven drawer when I'm trying to get a roast ready...)

Sift the following into a bowl:

2 Cups of Flour
4 t Baking Powder
3/4 Cup of Sugar

Melt 75g of butter in a bowl and add 1 Cup of milk, 1 egg, and the grated rind of 1 large lemon (or 2 small lemons) and combine well with a fork. Combine wet and dry ingredients until the dry ingredients have been lightly dampened but not thoroughly mixed. Divide the mixture into greased muffin trays and bake at 200C for 10 mins.

Stir together 1/4 cup of lemon juice and 1/4 cup of sugar, without dissolving the sugar. Brush this over the muffins as soon as they are removed from the oven. Remove the muffins from the trays as quickly as possible so that the sugar doesn't set and stick to the tray. Brush any excess mixture over the underside of the muffins.

4 comments:

The Stay At Home Son said...

Ahhh! Yes! Looks delicious!!

I'd pipe in some lemon curd, too, but I'm a lemon curd freak.

Anonymous said...

I've also made these muffins courtesy of my Alison Holst 4-in-1 cookbook, and yes they are very, very good. Thanks to Dan for the cookbook!!

Reporoa Kindergarten said...

Thanks Dan, these are my families favorites and I'm busy packing the house to move and pack that recipe! I decided that I'd try online and you were my saving grace!
I too put lemon curd into mine but have also added cream cheese too :)
Gill

Anonymous said...

I just made these - changed to 1 and half cups flour and half cup of coconut, plus threw in some flaked almonds. Also only used three tsp of baking powder as I'm always worried about getting that funny taste. Having said that, I've been using Alison Holst muffin recipes for close to thirty years (since I was about eleven!) so not sure why I think they need messing around with!