Foodie Googlie

Custom Search

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Playhouse

This post is a long time overdue.

Last year we got all crazy and decided to make playhouses for the little ones. In fact, it was Aunty L's idea, and I just got dragged into it, and I had to do all this awfully masculine stuff with tools and wood and wotnot. How very unlike me.

Working off plans we got off the internet, Uncle B and I slapped the frames together in their garage and I relocated the pieces back to our house on a trailer to assemble them.
Daddad John and Uncle B helped to get the base level and solid, and Isaac put the finishing touches on. Daddad John helped me put it all together,and Dessert Chef and I used leftover fence palings to clad it.
One should be aware, however, of the dangers of bringing a klutz and a hammer in close contact.
Uncle I helped me get the roof on in time for summer,
now we just have to deal with the little holes where the rain gets in - namely the door and the windows, and every gap between every piece of cladding and every roof panel.

But hey, Isaac thinks its great. I just think that he wishes we didn't use it to store our outside chairs and sun umbrella when we're not using them.

4 comments:

Suzette Saxton said...

What a neat playhouse!

HoltzFamily said...

Great playhouse. Where did you get the roofing material?

HoltzFamily said...

Great playhouse. What is the roofing material you are using? I am looking for a roof for my own kids playhouse and like what you did here.
R

Dan said...

Hi R Holtz

That roofing material is just a standard angle corrugated plastic, clear, which we got from the local Mitre 10 hardware store. These pieces we actually found in the off-cuts pile for very cheap - about $2 each - because they were cover sheets for the good product, but I think that to buy a full sheet was a bit more expensive, maybe about $30-40?

We then fixed them down using roofing tek screws, pre-drilling pilot holes so that the plastic didn't split. We used four overlapping pieces, 2 at the back, 2 at the front (you can see the colour change in the picture above), and folded the tops together over the central beam of the roof. At one point, a couple of tek screws are going through all four pieces of roofing plastic.

The downside to using this material is that it is far from water-tight - the angle shape leaves the ends exposed to weather from either direction, unless you go along and fill the gaps with an expanding foam or something similar.

Hope that's helpful!