Foodie Googlie

Custom Search

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Birthday Pancakes... Sort of

Today was LBS's birthday. I got up and made her our favourite pancakes, with whipped cream, banana and home-made pancake syrup.

Unfortunately for her, LBS lives in Canada, no less then 20 hours flying distant, so she missed out. But as they say, it's the thought that counts. She can be assured that her Birthday Pancakes were very much enjoyed by Isaac, Dessert Chef C and myself.I increased the recipe this time, using 4 eggs, 150g of self-raising flour and 190mls of milk, and I had to go hunting for a recipe for pancake syrup as we used the last of ours a week or so ago and haven't replenished the stocks. This is the recipe I used. It came out a bit crystally, but I think that if it was to cook for longer those crystals would break down and it would be smoother. The recipe I used as a basis called for Corn Syrup, which we didn't have, so that would probably have made it a lot smoother too.

Pancake Syrup

In a small pan, melt 25g of butter. Add 1/4C of brown sugar, 1/4C of white sugar and 1/4C of water. Heat to a brisk simmer and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat and stir constantly to thicken.
Serve warm over pancakes or icecream.

2 comments:

Leasmom said...

God that looks delicious and so does the syrup. YUMMY...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pancakes!! I'm sure I would have enjoyed them very much, if I lived a little closer. As it is, I appreciate the sentiment.